Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Progress of Goals

I would say that I have grown and accomplished a lot this semester-with regards to my goals, I will honestly say that some have slipped and not deliberately. As far as keeping up with assignments, I have done them, but in the latter relam of time. I have not been consistent with my blogs, but truly, I have not had much to elaborate on. I haven't wanted to sound redundant. I have truly embraced, in my eyes, a more constructivist approach in specific classes, and I have continued blogging with my American Lit. class. I have incorporated other teacher's ideas or methods (i.e.-the fishbowl) but I changed it a bit to adapt to the needs to my students by doing more socratic methods. I feel as though I am getting my kids to think more critically and beyond the mere surface. In my last units, with fresh and A.L. I will be doing inquiry based unit where the unit is derived off of one essential question and they will go through a process where they will evaluate, question,and create a socially significant group project on a topic they research. It gives the students more power in their learning and I get to facilitate more. I am looking forward to it and the kids seem to be excited, or they're just faking it. I really want these units to be relevant and exciting to the kids' lives. I will say that my goals were reachable, but not all attainable. But I do feel that the ways in which I ahve approached my teaching has been in large part due to this cohort, and for that I am thankful, even if I don't consistently blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I really like the sound of your inquiry based units. I hope that you find some time to share the results of those units (what went well, what didn't, what you might change next time) with the group (either in person or through this blog).

I doubt the kids are faking their excitement - what would be the point? The question I would ask is exactly what are they excited about. Which pieces of what you've described to them seem to be getting them excited? And then, of course, follow up afterward to see if they are still excited about it.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home