Monday, October 31, 2005

Week 3-Take 5 #2

I am finding that when I try to put learning into my own kids' hands, many don't know what to do with it.With a couple of assignments, I have set just a few parameters and said, "I want you to make this your own." Yet, they really struggle with how to create their own learning. I try to give them tools, but they would rather have the easy way out and have me tell them what to do. Anyone else have this problem? Our kids are so conditioned to us bailing them out when they don't have the answers or questions, and I am constantly telling them that sooner than later, the ability to think for themselves and create their own meaning, will be right in front of them, and they need to start now. This is not to say I won't guide them, but they know that I am not looking for right and wrong, I am looking for them to THINK-and they know I'll sit and wait in silence till someone voices their opinion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think it's going to take a while. Very few teachers have asked them to do this before. Give yourself - and them - some time. I think it will help tremendously if they start hearing these messages in multiple classes - which is part of what I hope happens as a result of our staff development.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home