Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Week 5-Take 5-#2

Let me just say I'm overwhelmed. If I lay any responsibility in the hands of my fresh, most of them have no clue what to do with it. It's taking a lot (but well-needed) time to get them to see the big picture in taking charge of their own education. I let them have free reign in creativity and what they want to present-I tell them,"Make it your own" and they still look at me like I'm nuts. It's like Terry Sale always says, "Nothing is easy for freshman." But, I will not give up; they are all capable of individual thought and thinking and I continue to tell them that!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Just keep reminding them that they can do it, it just takes time and practice. Also have them consider the alternative. Instead of respecting them and challenging them like you are, you could be teaching down to them. Would they rather have that?

12:33 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I am having the same issues with my freshman. They have not been taught that thinking for themselves is okay! Just like you thay have provided me with a challenge and I will not give up! I will continue to challenge them everyday, and eventually they will rise to the challenge... it just might take a bit longer then i thought!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home